March 16, 2011

Jan Camp 2011

Every year I make a resolution to camp out at least one night in every month. After Man Camp, I always think, "Hey, I've got the hard one done, if I can make it through January and February, I'll have it made!" Then I don't camp out again till July.

Maybe 2011 will be different. I did make it out on January14th. Just a solo trip, no fire. It was kind of a proof of concept to see if 2 three season sleeping bags would work as one four season sleeping bag. It worked swimmingly. I brought too much stuff, as per usual, but made it down and back in one trip, which is unusual, and an improvement.

It got sub zero, maybe -2 or something, so I feel like I have actually been winter camping. I stayed quite warm, listened to iTunes most of the night. One key seemed to be sleeping in my clothes, including my mukluk liners. Then getting dressed in the morning consisted on putting on my boots over my warm liners. No trying to stick a warm body in cold clothes.

I kept my water bottle under the one of the sleeping bags, and it didn't freeze. I used my candle lantern, it was awesome, casting the picturesque glow of a fire, but without the hassle.

3 comments:

Galen said...

Looks cosy - looking forward to next year's post.

Unknown said...


Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.

Real Estate Publicity
Multimedia Presentation
epoxy coatings
glue removal

Unknown said...


I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else!

Real Estate Publicity
Multimedia Presentation
epoxy coatings
glue removal