April 12, 2008

First Canoe Trip of the Year!

We were supposed to go last weekend, but I was hovering near death, and didn't get out of bed. Its too bad in a way, because last week it was sunny and dry, but a little cold.

Well today we woke up to rain, but in Maine it rains, but we are essentially waterproof, so after laying on a little guilt trip on the girls, and threatening them with Cinderella-grade drudgery if they stayed home, they decided to go canoeing instead.

It took a little time to get everything dug out of winter storage, loaded in the Yukon, unloaded from the truck, loaded into the canoe, but eventually we were off.

Eleanor could not be persuaded to go, but here is Zach, Emily and Zoe.



The river was HIGH. The highest I've ever seen. We canoed right over beaver dams that were 3 feet out of the water last fall.

I thought it was very pretty. I like the clouds and the water.



We saw dozens of ducks, but didn't get too close to any of them.



The hope was to go fishing, but I don't have any freshwater fishing rods that are in working order. I did try to fish with some line wrapped around an old plastic coke bottle, which has worked in the past, but by the time I got the bottle rigged up, the rain was coming down in sheets. The water was frothy from the rain. (click on the picture to capture the full drama of the moment, and see the flock of ducks flying in the distance.)



The kids huddled under the emergency blanket and ate beef jerky.



At the height of the rain, water was pouring off my hat, onto legs and running down and filling my boots.

After some futile attempts to catch a fish, we pulled anchor and started back. Of course about that time it stopped raining.

I took some video of Zoe paddling. She is very good. I was in the back of the canoe (not paddling) and she was paddling up a noticeable current, but making good progress none the less.



Anyway, it was a short trip but fun. Zach stayed totally dry, and everybody stayed fairly warm. Not bad for the first trip of the season.

No comments: